Acme Packet, the leader in session delivery networks, and CounterPath, a leading developer of award-winning desktop, tablet and mobile VoIP software products and solutions, today announced a joint solution based on CounterPath's market-leading Bria softphone and Acme Packet's market-leading Net-Net session border controller (SBC). The solution is targeted at service providers looking to extend service footprint and increase subscriber base by tapping into the growing demand for "over-the-top" (OTT) services that leverage the Internet for real-time voice and video communications.
- The joint solution is the first to leverage Acme Packet's implementation of an emerging standard known as Tunneled Service Control Function (TSCF), which delivers an infrastructure-based alternative for real-time, over-the-top (OTT) communications.
- CounterPath's Bria mobile edition, a SIP-based softphone
for Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, as well as Google Android, now
integrates tunneling innovations from Acme Packet that enable increased
secure connectivity, enhanced firewall traversal, and interoperability
with Acme Packet's SBCs.
- The Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), the
standards organization that oversees the development of IP Multimedia
Subsystem (IMS), is currently working to standardize the TSCF function.
- Acme Packet and CounterPath designed this solution for
service providers looking to provide secure voice, video, IM, presence,
and SMS to mobile apps -- with higher levels of quality and reliability
than current solutions.
- The joint solution helps customers extend the reach of
their services by allowing tunneled sessions to traverse network
borders, even in the presence of strict firewalls.
- With Acme Packet's patent-pending tunnel redundancy, the
solution improves media quality under adverse network conditions and
the Internet, where packet loss is common. Both signaling and media are
replicated to ensure the highest possible quality of experience.
- The solution also features CounterPath's Client
Configuration Server, which is used by service providers to deploy and
provision the CounterPath mobile app.
- Secure VoIP and video communications for mobile applications on iPhone, Android, and Windows devices
- Maximum service reach with strict firewall traversal
- High voice quality and surmount packet loss for off-net or OTT VoIP services
- Call continuity across Wi-Fi and mobile networks
- Open and standards driven tunneling technology for both signaling and media
- Service provider-grade IP communications and security leveraging hardware assisted encryption and tunneling technologies
- Protection against malicious attacks and non-malicious overloads for OTT services
- Support for standard codecs, regardless of signaling or media type
- "This partnership with Acme Packet only enhances our
Telco-OTT offering to service providers with a high-quality, real-time
solution that guarantees secure calls in even the strictest network
environments. As a result, we believe this joint solution will provide a
better experience than what Skype and other OTT players currently
offer," said Todd Carothers, Executive Vice President of Marketing and
Products, CounterPath. "This solution demonstrates our ongoing
commitment to innovation as we continue to provide operators with the
technology to beat Internet OTT offerings."
- "In order to compete in the emerging telecommunications
industry, traditional telephony providers must learn to embrace Internet
philosophies and deliver new and differentiated services via a
Telco-OTT model," said Dean Bubley, founder, Disruptive Analysis. "Acme
Packet and CounterPath's joint solution enables service providers to
strengthen their OTT service portfolio by improving quality and
- "Traditional service providers are increasingly
concerned with OTT providers taking subscribers away from their
business," said Pat MeLampy, chief technology officer, Acme Packet.
"This joint solution enables service providers to compete directly with
other OTT offerings and keep customers on their networks. By choosing
CounterPath, an industry leading VoIP technology, and Acme Packet, the
market leader in SBCs, our customers can deliver all the benefits of OTT
services, offer security and reliability, as well as simply
interoperate with pre-existing services."
- Acme Packet and CounterPath will be demonstrating the joint solution at the upcoming Mobile World Congress, offering select attendees the opportunity to "test drive" the solution through a service offered exclusively during the event.
- Acme Packet at Mobile World Congress
- Acme Packet and OTT Communications